People aren’t the only ones who sniff out adventure—our pups can’t get enough of it either. If you and your pooch are looking to turn up the furry fun factor, creativity knows no bounds in the City of Roses! From massive parks to tranquil nooks tucked among the skyscrapers, the outdoors have been woven into Portland’s fabric. There are so many pet-friendly restaurants, breweries and accommodations too, it’s not surprising that Portland is regularly named among the most dog-friendly cities in the country. Whether you’re looking to kick your feet (or paws) up for a day of pampering, or eat and play your way through the city, Portland delivers a treasure around every corner.
Parks & Trails
Portland has over 10,000 beautiful acres of public parks and green spaces throughout the city. Here are some of our top picks to enjoy a walk, picnic, run, or hike with your pup:
- Forest Park — the largest city park in the U.S. with over 80 miles of trails.
- Tryon Creek — a 4.85-mile tributary of the Willamette River.
- Tabor — a century old public space known for its open reservoirs, hiking trails and extinct volcano.
- The Fields Park — a three-acre urban green space in Portland’s Pearl District.
- Wallace Dog Park — an off-leash dog park in Northwest Portland.
Doggie Daycare & Grooming Services
If your four-legged pal deserves a day of pampering, Heather’s Finest will give your pet the pampering they deserve. Sniff Dog Hotel provides dog daycare services for Portland visitors, as well as salon and spa services. Looking for a little playtime for your pooch? Lexi Dog Boutique & Social Club in the Pearl District offers a safe and dry indoor environment for leash-free frolicking, along with grooming and dog walking services.
While Portland does not allow dogs inside establishments that serve food, as with most U.S. city regulations, there are more breweries and restaurants with covered patios than you can shake (or fetch!) a stick at. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Tin Shed Garden Café — featuring a covered outdoor patio and a special canine menu. Reservations required.
- Lucky Labrador Brew Pub — as its name suggests, this pub takes special joy in celebrating all things canine. Its annual fall “Dogtoberfest” combines great beer and live music with Portland’s biggest dog wash, with all proceeds benefiting Dove Lewis Blood Bank. Minors are allowed during all hours.
- Cycle Dog Tavern & Portland Indoor and Outdoor Dog Park — featuring over 50 varieties of beer, wine, cider and soft drinks. Its showroom offers collars, leashes, beds, toys, travel bowls and accessories, all made from recycled bike tubes. Written proof of current vaccinations is required for Rabies, Bordetella and DHPP.
The Benson understands that life is better when you can take your best friend with you. Enjoy the best of the Rose City with our Sit, Stay, Sleep package! Unwind and relax after a day of tax-free shopping and indulge at one of the many dog friendly restaurants, craft breweries, or artisan coffee shops all within walking distance to Portland’s landmark hotel. This package includes overnight accommodations, free valet parking, customized welcome gifts and treats for your pet, along with a comfy pet bed. We’ll ensure your stay in Portland is safe, comfortable, and most of all, doggone fun!
The Benson, a historic downtown Portland hotel, has long catered to celebrities, CEOs, dignitaries and every U.S. president since William H. Taft. It offers guests 287 tastefully appointed guest rooms, including a variety of suites, 18,000 square feet of meeting space and abundant guest amenities. Whether you are traveling for pleasure or business, The Benson offers comfort, luxury and proximity to all Portland has to offer.